Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Director's Chair


For this weeks photo challenge we were told to Photoshop ourselves into the director's chair. It was meant more for us to be able to show our skills in Photoshop more then anything. I used 3 different photos, and used the chair photo twice. I took the photo of the director’s chair and cut the bottom and top apart from each other. I place the picture of me on top of the bottom of the chair, then matched the size of the top of the chair and layered that on top of the picture of me to make it look as if I was actually sitting in the chair.
I chose the image of the desert because it looks like the scene from my short “The Survivor”. The last part of the short was all shot on the dried up lake bed out here in Las Vegas. I felt that even though I was making a fictional picture, it would feel better if it was based on a short I directed.
I feel that society, even my own family has a weird belief of what a director does, or acts like on set. They like to think all Director’s do is sit in a comfy chair, bark tons of orders, and lets everyone else do all the hard work. Today’s modern director tends to get very hands on and involved more. They spend more time next to the camera, but helping moving things around and standing as close to the shot as possible.  Even JJ Abrams got hands on while shooting Star Trek by standing behind the camera every now and then, and would tap the back of the camera to give it a shake effect.
To further this feel I’m adding in a picture actually took at the set. The picture was taken by Johnie Wood, and it does show me kind of barking orders, but I’m not sitting in a comfy chair relaxing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment