Monday, May 14, 2012

Week 6 Photo Challenge: Special Effects



I talk about my short “The Survivor” a lot, the reason is it has gone further then any other short I have done. I’ve been a part of a television show for VegasTV, but when it comes to creative work, it’s the only short to get “Official Selection” in film festivals, and even got shown all the way in Florida.
“The Survivor” was also the first thing I created were I had to do the Visual Effects myself. I’m use to hiring a visual effects artist. When I know I can’t have one I plan on only Special Effects, effects that are practical and I can hand make. I’m good at things like making mask or squibs, a device that shoots fake blood to make a gunshot look. When it comes to Visual Effects I only knew the basics.
The reason I had to do my own Visual Effects is because my artist I hired had a family emergency and I couldn’t get a second one to commit because they were too busy with classes. This left me with watching a lot of tutorials, and reading lessons on how to get done the task I needed.
For this shot of “The Survivor” I had to use about 6 different layers. The City was broken up into 5 parts. I had to make sure they were all cleaned up and I can fit them together to fake a complete city. Then I had to add the city into my footage. Blending and color correcting too a long time to get as close as I could. Once I had that I had to color correct the scene.
For “The Survivor” all color correction was done in After Effects. It was important to try and get a good contrast with a solid off orange color. Each shot was slightly different, but doing the whole short in After Effects helped keep a close enough continuity of color that it was the best way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment