Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Week 1 EOC: What sacrifices are you willing to make for your Career?


In the field I’m trying to join, Motion Pictures and Television, sacrifice in inevitable. It’s a hard field to get into to start with, but once in there are still as many sacrifices and problems and trying to even get started. Some people sacrifice their want for family, time with loved ones, or even their own beliefs and creative control. So it makes it one of the biggest and hardest questions to ask yourself.

I’m willing to sacrifice my time. I know by doing this it will take away from time with the ones I love or family I may have in the future, but a choice has to be made in order to even attempt a life in their field. I am like most people. I love my free time. I love being able to sit around the house, do nothing, and sleep over ten hours a night. If I could do it for a living, I would probably be so bored it would drive me crazy. So is the answer to that going into a career that is known for working people over twelve hours a day?

Not only that but the times of days change constantly. Nothing is set when working in Motion Pictures and Television. One week you’ll work five in the morning to eight at night, and the next week you’ll work five days of six at night to seven in the morning. It’s unpredictable, long, and tedious. If you don’t love the work, then it will wear you down and eat you for a snack.

So then why would I choose to do it? Why would I knowingly sign up or pursue a job that I know, if I ever have a child I might not see them for a couple months? It’s because I do LOVE this job. It means more to me then my own health. (Last years 48 hour film festival I was still going even after becoming severely ill.) It’s a part of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment